Saturday, July 26, 2008

Thing #19- Web 2.0 Awards

This is a ton of information! The useful thing about this site is that it provides resources that are deemed to be the top resources in different categories. I was pleased (not really surprised, though) that so many of the sites were tools that we have already explored.

The first place I looked was Last , which allowed me to enjoy listening to a mix of 80s music while I was exploring other places. Very enjoyable, and pretty fun to type in different band names to get a selection of music of the same genre. I had looked at Pandora a couple of years ago, and at the time, there was not a good selection of classical music, and Last seems to have a decent selection. Might be something that I could use in my music classroom, particularly since the sight offers biographical information on different artist, and some video. It would be something that I would have to use as a resource if I was looking for something in particular, and I could stumble upon something that I hadn't thought of that I could use.

MyGeneology was interesting, and I like that you could create your family tree, but it isn't really something that I could currently use professionally, I don't think. Same with Upcoming, which gave a list of upcoming events in the city. Very useful for me, but not something that I would use in class. I suppose that if we were studying something, and a performance was coming up, I could let the students know about it, but I am not sure that it would have that much impact with a lot of them (or with their parents...my students are in elementary school). Then again, you never know.

I had heard a lot about Twitter, so I checked that out, and understand now what it is about. Nice way to keep informed about friends daily lives. Could be fun. Just an aside...the CommonCraft videos have probably been the most informative, helpful, and easy-to-understand explanations that I have seen during the 23 Things exploration. Those guys are great!

The things that will be most helpful to me in my classroom are actually things that we have already explored, at least from the proficiency level that I currently have attained: Google Docs, Flickr, Del.icio.us, PBWiki, WetPaint, YouTube, and Google Maps and such, either as resources, organizational tools, or communication and collaboration tools, both personally, professionally, and with regards to the education of my students.

I am bookmarking this site at Del.icio.us so that I can explore it more thoroughly and take advantage of the information it offers.

No comments: