Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #18- Online Productivity Tools

Hmmm. How is it that anyone would offer something like OpenOffice for free? I don't see advertising or anything. I did see that they have contributors like Novell, IBM, and Google, and some others that I do not recognize.

Anyway, I didn't download OpenOffice, since I am not really sure how much room I can spare right now on my computer. I never said that I really knew what I was doing with this machine...food for thought and for self-improvement. I did look at the things that OpenOffice has to offer. It seems that it is a free version similar to Microsoft Office, and that you can even make your documents compatible to Office. What makes it different is that you "participate" by joining the community and suggesting things to make this product more tailored to suit what the users might want. Interesting that they call it both a "product" and a "project." Witness again this global pooling and contributing. I can see that it would be great for someone who did not want to spend the money for Microsoft Office, or for the student whose parents can only afford the bare bones, not the expensive software. A good way for more students to have access to Office type software and applications.

The more I think about and explore Google Documents, the more I like it. It occurs to me that not only can I create documents either to share or to make public, but I can store things that I am working on right there online, where they will be accessible from anywhere, at anytime, from any computer, without my little USB storage thing. Heck, I wouldn't even have to have my own computer with me. Ever since I have been able to make one of my documents link properly for access from a hot link on my blog, I have been sort of excited. Banner day at Blog a la Lundquist.

No comments: